Wednesday, September 5, 2012

DGtri Athlete: Jamie Harman

Race report for the Full Boar Middle Distance Triathlon on the 2nd Sept 2012 and general thoughts on my season

I love the full boar middle distance race, Infact i think the whole series is great but the middle distance really is for me an enjoyable experience. However the week coming up to the race i just wasn't feeling the vibe. I had raced just two weeks before at the Ely ECF Monster and did a sub 5hr in what turned out to be difficult hot conditions, Especially on the run when i had sever cramps.

I was still quite tired and my body and mind didn't feel 100% so i had decided to just enjoy the race and take it as it came. I had to just hold it together for one more week and on race morning with the start not until 09:30 i got a lay in bed for a change instead of having to get up at stupid o'clock!. I arrived at the water park for around 8am to find the place absolutely buzzing!, It was a hive of activity and the pre-race vibe from other competitors, Supporters and organisers was immense.
I registered and had a natter with friends and a few other regular competitors of the Full Boar Series then got down to business. I got my transition area sorted out. Managed to get some last minute calories in me and we were into the water for a warm up or should that say cool down?, Boy was it cold!. It felt like May!

I did a few meters slowly and then at effort just trying to get some warmth and blood into the swim muscles and after a while my body seemed to free up and i made my way to the start. I had positioned myself towards the front of the swim start again with a clear sight of the buoy and with a shout from Robbo we were off!.
The swim went really well and i found my pace even before the first turn buoy. I had no trouble with people getting in the way and my sighting was going well too but being a regular swimmer at Bosworth i may of had a bit of an advantage. I could see the faster swimmers pulling away but i wasn't to bothered as i was holding a good pace. I started the second lap and once around the top island decided to increase the effort. I found myself passing a few swimmers that had obviously gone off to hard and were now dropping back a little and i excited the water in quite a fresh state in 31mins 37secs. A decent swim time given the cold water i think.
Into Transition 1 and all went well, I found my bike this time ha ha and the wetsuit came off easily. I also managed to get a few places back in T1 as a few people were standing around talking and blowing, They must of put a bit too much into the swim!. I exited T1 in 1min 15secs a very good transition from wetsuit to bike.
Onto the bike and this was the bit i was looking forward too as i was riding the new Scott so i knew providing we had no mechanical or other issues i could do a new pb on the 4 lap course. I made my way out of the park turning left and up towrds the hill. My legs felt quite tired and i didn't seem to be able to get them going and with my Timex gps again not working i had no idea of the speed i was doing. All i had was my heart rate and cadence which both turned out to be useful but it would of been nice to have an idea of the speed also.

Turning left onto the A444 i was making my down the hill and still not having much joy with my legs. I had passed another Three or Four of cyclists but also i had been passed myself by what turned out to be the race winner. He passed my like i was standing still. It looked effortless for him. I had no idea of my position in the race and just kept focusing on pushing where i could and being cautions with energy going into the wind along the A444. Heading around the back of the course back into Market Bosworth my legs still felt quite rubbish compared to previous races yet i was moving quite quickly. I can remember passing a couple more riders as if they were standing still. That new bike on the flat with me pushing the peddles really gets moving but with me being a heavier athlete compared to some others i struggle a little hauling my bottom up the hills. Laps Two and Three went much the same and not until the start of lap Four did my legs seem to kick in. I really enjoyed lap Four and seemed to settle into the race at this point although i didn't like the abuse coming through Market Bosworth from an unhappy motorist. I think its when i needed to pee and didn't stop. I managed to do it while coming down Bosworth hill and may of covered his windscreen! "Sorry"

I finished the bike split in an impressive for me 2hrs 34mins and 2secs. All in all a strong ride given the course and wind.

Into Transition 2 and racking my bike i was chatting away to my kids who came to watch there dad race i really felt quite calm and collected. The trainers went on quickly and easily and i was out in under a minute, 59secs to be exact!. Super fast T2.

The run i knew was going to be a bit tricky as there were quite a lot of hills. Not big hills but hills that grind you down slowly. It was starting to warm up and i was worried about pushing too hard and getting cramps however i though i just gotta go for it, Its my last race and just wanted to get it done. I had also armed myself with Salt Sticks capsules and extra gels.

Out onto the run i passed Two athletes straight away and was thinking maybe i should slow down as i wasn't sure if i could hold that pace, It was just a thought though and i kept pushing. I knew if i could push up the hill i could extend my stride coming back down and save my legs a little. One thing i did notice was nobody else in front of me!. Was this a good thing? had they all finished and gone home?, No i was up there! the game was on!. It wasn't until i headed up the hill that the race leader was coming back down and he was moving at a strong pace. I knew i would not catch him so i focused on keeping strong, using my nutrition correctly and holding a good technique. That way everything as in training would just fall into place. I counted off the people in front of me as they passed and there were around 13 or 14. and just kept focusing on the important stuff pace,hydration, technique and nutrition The plan went well and i managed to stride down the hill quite comfortable but being passed by a female athlete, A really strong runner!. The plan was much the same for the second lap only this time cramps had started to just creep in. I upped my gel intake to every 20mins by this time along with a salt stick and the cramps subsided. Making my way back towards the water park i had managed to wind an athlete in who seemed to be struggling a little. I passed him on the entrance to the water park not looking back to see if he was chasing me just opening the legs up and going for it. My children were there shouting go daddy go daddy ha ha it was awesome. I crossed the finish line with a run split of 1hr 32mins. A fast half marathon for me given the course profile and a total event finish time of 4hrs 40mins and 38 painful seconds.

Thanks to Bill Livingstone for his persistent txt messages reminding me i would NOT go sub 5hrs at Full Boar Middle. Your cunning plan worked lol. And thanks to all the organisers who without them the immense fun we have as athletes would not be possible. You did a great job. Thanks to the Marshalls who also did a top job giving up there leisure time so we may race. They don't have to be there to help out so please remember that.


Looking back at my 2012 season
Well what can i say? what words can express my delight at what has turned out to be a fantastic season for me?. Its hard to put into words the feelings i have for this year. At times i was thinking things were not going to plan and getting a little down. Good job i have a good coach Dermot Galea who has a wealth of experience and racing knowledge to look at the whole bigger picture!, Something i don't really have due to still being relatively new to the sport but i am getting there.

I will try and put the season into a few words. With the start of my season in may coming second in a super sprint really gave me a huge confidence boost. All of a sudden the top athletes became just humans!, Just like me and you made from the same stuff!. Reachable, Touchable and most of all BEATABLE!. Then with a superb finish at the Northampton Olympic distance Race of 2hrs 17mins and a super fast swim and bike split even more confidence was showing. The fear of racing was ever subsiding. The Cowman middle distance race was slightly different as i had put so much pressure on myself to do well that looking back i was not happy coming up to the race and doing that to ones self is not good. It will never happen again regardless of finish time, Dnf or Dns!. This race was a turning point for my bike and run speed. Even though at the time it didn't seem like it that's where things improved again!. Lots of big names there and fast people so to finish where i did was a great achievement. The Ely Monster Middle Distance Race just confirmed my ever increasing bike speed with a split of 2hrs and 35mins and even though i suffered on the run i was not disappointed. The run conditions were tough with even the top finishers run/walking due to the heat. No shame in that!. And finally Full Boar what can i say. I feel i have explained my feelings above well enough regarding this particular race but must say again, Well done to the team and keep up the hard work.

Its been hard at times committing myself to the training but not just the training also the lifestyle changes that go with it. Its difficult for my loving family especially my Louise who has to sort the kids out when i am busy training or the day before a race when i withdraw myself from family life to focus on the next days race and for social events i cannot attend. That though my friends is commitment!. Commitment has to be total and unparalleled. I am armed with the tools now to win races as we all are. We just need to fine tune ourselves and get comfortable with uncomfortable. I feel i have a lot more to offer this sport and the sport itself has so much more to offer me!, Not just me but the people around me, I hope my passion rubs off on people and they take a leaf from my book. A Number of years ago the Alchohol and drugs were never too far away and my quality of life was poor with not much respect for anything or anybody let alone myself. That was part of my life i liked to forget but now feel quite open about it. Afterall we all have our Skeletons or Demons in the closet. Its good to face up to them and give them a scare in return now and then!.

For October i have booked my self on a Level 2 Triathlon coaching course to compliment my gym instructors qualification. I love the sport so much and just want to know as much as possible.

I have not decided about my races for next season as of yet because i am waiting for the BTF to get back to me in the hope of letting me race for GBR in ETU Champs Races (Everything else permitting). I will be running the Belvoir Marathon again in 2013 i think as i had a good result there at the start of the year and it helps to focus on the marathon coming up to keep the festive seasons food and drink from the waistline.

Failing the BTF getting back to me or my times not being good enough then i will try and qualify again next year and think a trip back to Wimbleball 70.3 with my mate Ryan B who seems to be addicted to Triathlon after just one event will be in order.

So People!....As my friend Alfonso Jiminez says "Keep it strong maaaaan" and see you all soon. Focus, Commit and Execute!

All the best, Buzz

No comments: